Thursday, April 15, 2010

I'm Behind, But Jennifer Knapp....Congrats


Christian singer Jennifer Knapp has made the announcement this past week that she is a lesbian. Knapp rose to stardom in the Christian music scene with her debut album Kansas. When I was in high school, and trying to figure out how to go about living, I dipped into the Christian music scene. Knapp's gorgeous voice and obvious passion lent a sense of immediacy and connection that I had not felt with any other artist in the genre. I became an instant fan. As I grew up and realized that the Christian life was not only not for me but shunned me at every turn, I began to stop listening to the music associated with it. I never forgot how her music gave me chills at times, though.

I'm very happy for Jennifer in her decision to be honest with her fan base, regardless of the obvious threats it brings to her career in the CCM market. She, however, is going to be touring with Lilith Fair, so surely she will find many more people who can connect with her outside of the market she's in.

Best of luck Jennifer, I'm ecstatic you can be honest with yourself and the world and continue with your loving relationship.

No comments:

Post a Comment